Injured Andrew McDonald out for the season

Andrew McDonald is expected to miss the rest of the season due to a hamstring injury that will require surgery. McDonald, the Victoria allrounder, will have an operation on Monday to repair an ongoing problem with his hamstring that has worsened in the past few weeks, ending any hopes of a recall to the national side this season after he captained Australia A against the touring South Africans earlier this month.

McDonald, 31, started the Sheffield Shield season in outstanding form with the bat, scoring 101 at better than a run a ball against Western Australia at the WACA, followed by 64 at the MCG against Tasmania. It's an unfortunate case of déjà vu for McDonald, who two years ago began the Shield season with three centuries in three games, but then broke his hand and was not able to capitalise on the strong form.

"Timing is everything in this game. Unfortunately I'm injured now so my timing's not great," McDonald told the Sunday Age. "What we put our bodies through in terms of playing cricket ... your body every now and then is going to let you down. Bowling's not great on the body, I think that's just part and parcel of playing cricket.

"One thing about this is I've got to get my body right. I feel as though I've got a lot of good years left in me. The way my batting's improved over the years, I think I can hold down a spot as a batsman, and once I get this hamstring problem fixed my bowling will be back to where it was a few years ago."

McDonald played four Tests, all against South Africa in early 2009, and would have come into strong consideration this summer had the selectors decided to replace the injured Shane Watson with another allrounder. He was also part of Australia's Ashes tour of England in 2009 but did not play a Test.


You're reading an article about
Injured Andrew McDonald out for the season
This article
Injured Andrew McDonald out for the season
can be opened in url
http://naturalherbmedic.blogspot.com/2012/11/injured-andrew-mcdonald-out-for-season.html
Injured Andrew McDonald out for the season